Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Conjunctivitis epidemic

This is the latest news on the conjunctivitis epidemic in Fiji. It has hit USP and you can see people around with swollen eyes. I am paranoid that I'll get it before I leave and it will screw up our flight plans. So I'm washing my hands all the time and using hand sanitizer like a lunatic. The University has e-mailed me these handy tips:

o wash your eyes when they feel dry or itchy with tap water - you
can do this every 3 to 4 hours;
o dry your eyes with disposable tissue paper - never use
handkerchief;
o use the eye drops every 3 hours but wash your eyes first;
o do not go near the infected people;
o do not touch other people's property. Keep to yourself;
o see the doctor straightaway if your eyes are infected.

With the second to last suggestion, I can't help but think of that guy from Office Space not wanting anybody to borrow his stapler. As if the e-mail's author was thinking "finally a reason to admonish people for using my stapler!" Of course I had to use somebody's stapler today (as mine has gone missing) but I used hand sanitizer immediately afterwards. As I look a computer all day long I'm subject to eye stress and now any slight change in the "feeling" in my eye is immediately contributed to "the conjunctivitis coming on". Yes, I've gone crazy.

7 Comments:

At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I just read in the NY Times that certain hand sanitizers don't do jack shiz. Make sure to use the ones that have at least 60% ethyl alcohol in them, otherwise it ain't cutting the mustard and you may be rubbing gnarly conjucto into your eyes. And you don't want that, I wouldn't think.

See you when you get back!
Stephan

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger rose said...

OK, it now takes more than one hand to count the people at my library who have conjunctivitus and are still at work! When you walk around campus it is a completely some with conjunctivitus is a completely common site! I don't know why people aren't just staying home, we have a very generous sick leave policy!

 
At 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the non-sick people should stay home in response to lack o consideration.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Paleni said...

My flatmate's girlfriend, who goes to USP, had it and gave it to him and he had it bad all this week. I haven't got it yet and hopefully won't.

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rose,
can't post much as I'm in the library. A bad phone mucks up my dial-up. Before you pack you bags have a look at my thesis in your library - probably Pacific collection - on the music and vanua of Labasa!
Wendy

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger rose said...

Oh speaking of theses! If you haven't already gotten a request, if you sign and return both of the author statement of accessability statements found here your thesis will be digitised and made available on the internet for anybody who'd interested to search and read. (This was part of the job I had, it's with great regret that I'm not able to see it through.)

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Hi Rose,
Thanks for the info about the theses. Hey, there are five copies of my MA research! I only gave them one so they must have wanted more! I wonder if anyone ever reads it!
W.
And my telephone is fixed. A cable was nearly broken under leaves and sticks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home